It is completely pellucid that the Atom bombs which fell on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki ended the world war-II, causing complete destruction and unforgettable loss to the humanity. Such a cruel act of barbarism vanished the tremendous efforts of the sages who spent their complete lives in the quest of harmony.
The destructive capacity of nuclear weapons is beyond comparison and imagination. However, the use of nuclear technology has its advantages as well. I would delve into detail to discuss both sides of this contentious issue.
Advantages (or Brighter side):
- Potential to save the earth from impending energy crisis. Compared with all other forms of alternative energy sources, nuclear technology enables us to generate energy on a very large scale.
- Radio-surgery, the most recent discovery is pain free and quick, as compared to conventional surgical techniques. Here the surgery or operations are carried out by means of power of radiations. In medical field, it has proved to be a boon, where the cancerous tissues are eradicated or killed with the power of radio waves.
- Irradiation method of preserving food material, in which nuclear technology comes to use.
- Electricity generation on larger scale, thus improving the life standard and overall economic status.
- The discovered nuclear supply will be enough to sustain the earth for more than a century.
- Injudicious use of nuclear technology can cause total destruction of the earth.
For instance, the atomic bombs, which destroyed the Japanese cities, are much less potent than today’s nuclear weapons.
- Half a dozen hydrogen bombs are enough to cause a nuclear holocaust (massive destruction or great loss of life.)
- Belligerent leaders and terrorists may cause great human disaster by the use of nuclear weapons for mass destruction.
- The most worrying aspect of nuclear technology is its use for military purpose by many high and mighty countries.
- Enough atomic bombs have already been made, which are capable of completely destroying the planet.
- An increasing number of countries now have nuclear weapons or have the technology required to make such bombs. Like: Iraq, North Korea, India, Pakistan and others.
- If life on earth is to continue, we must control nuclear weapons of mass destruction.
- To eliminate the threat of nuclear war, all the nuclear power nations of the world should agree to disarm as soon as possible.
To conclude, we should learn from our past mistakes about the explosions of the nuclear centres.