”Reality show is a genre of television programming that documents unscripted real- life situations and other features.” It differs from documentary television as its focus tends to be on dean and personal conflict, rather than simply education viewers.
- Making people aware about daily happenings.
- Struggle of people.
- Inspiring people.
- Able to face public even in remotest part of the country.
- Achieve limelight.
- Gain confidence.
Here are the most important and awakening questions that arise that are:
Are these actually the reality shows?
Are they be-fooling the innocent viewers ?
Are they well rehearsed shows?
Well, for answering all these questions we have to overlook some of its advantages and disadvantages…
- Teach us to be disciplined.
- Teach us about human nature and its values.
- Provide us a valuable lesson that even books don’t provide .
- Provide platform to talented people.
- A good source of motivating the people.
- A harmless fun.
- It can be called expression of popular and democratic taste.
- These are vulgar and shoddy.
- Are pre-planned.
- Ruins the privacy of the participants.
- Sometimes go beyond the ethics of human culture.
- Some psychological disorders arise e.g. Low self-esteem, frustration, depression, anger, addiction, stealing etc.
The reality television has become popular today as its main focus is on the concept of making money and instant fame.
It shows regular people in the cast and the public/viewers can relate to them. ”The fact that the characters on the show are selected from ordinary life is a key part of this appeal”.